Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hurricane Katrina: A Video Tribute

Today while reviewing news coverage and blog posts about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina I came across this wonderful video tribute to the people along America's Gulf Coast struggling with the shock, the loss of life and property, and the pain left behind by this enormous tropical storm.

The Hurricane Katrina Tribute video created by Kaizenamazen features images of the hurricane's destruction and the ongoing rescue efforts down in New Orleans. Background audio is the music of the fine Italian musician Zucchero and the late John Lee Hooker both singing the beautiful blues track "I Lay Down with the Angels". John Lee Hooker died in July 2001 about a month after this song was recorded. If you can understand the power of these images and this music then you can understand what I and many others around the world who have experienced and love America's Southland are feeling today. The Blues.

Thanks to Andy Carvin for the tip on this video tribute posted at his new Katrina Aftermath blog.




"Come sweet soul of mine
I lay down with the Angel..."

"I lay down
With an Angel
'cause she treat me kind sometimes
Vieni in me
Portami via
Ali d'oro"

Update September 2, 2005:
I wanted to update this posting from yesterday to write a few more words about the unfolding emergencies in the aftermath of the hurricane and to include the new Technorati tag for International Blogging for Diaster Relief Day. You can read more about the latter at Andy’s
Waste of Bandwidth blog and at the international bloggers favorite hangout Global Voices Online. Who’s been screwing around with the GVO blog template again? I liked the old one better!

The personal video tribute by Kaizenamazen above has been viewed more than 2500 times since yesterday, up from 44 views when I first inserted a link to it on this blog. Also I would like to again thank my Nigerian friend Imnakoya for his posting on August 30th
“Katrina: The Day After” and the participants in the Nigerian group blog Nairaland Forum for their discussion around the topic “Hurricane Katrina: Should Nigeria & Nigerians Help Out”.

Lastly, like many fellow Americans and people around the world, and particularly fellow African-Americans, I am shocked and outraged that so many lowlifes in New Orleans would use this terrible disaster and all of this suffering to carry out their dark deeds of robbery, theft, rape, and murder. A good article on the deteriorating security situation can be found at CNN International Online:
Military due to move into New Orleans - Sep 02, 2005

This is a disgrace to the country and particularly to African-Americans and people of color everywhere. That is not to say that everyone involved in this violence and lawlessness is Black, but almost everyone we see on our TV news reports across the globe running around like the Taliban, flashing guns and other types of lethal weapons, and carrying away looted goods like pirates___ look Black. Maybe it is a problem with my Contrast Control, but I don’t think so.

You can read more about what fellow Americans are saying about this disgusting behavior over at
Booker Rising. Look here and here and here and keep reading. My opinion and attitudes toward looters and hoodlums operating in New Orleans at the moment is very simple. Stop them by any means necessary to restore law-and-order in the affected areas. Get to the people who are desperately in need of help and rescue and make it possible for people to do their jobs there.

I was speaking with my Mom by telephone last evening and we were comparing the devastation and suffering we are seeing along America's Gulf Coast to the Great Flood of 1993 at St. Louis, Missouri and cities across the Midwest. I said to Mama,


“...It’s good Mama that your church is collecting money to send to those poor, suffering people down South in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. But while you all are on your knees asking God to send your prayers to those poor people, make sure you ask Him to send more ammo (ammunition) to stop them damn thieves and gangsters from stealing and killing."

Mom scolded me saying what I said wasn’t very Christian-like; as she hung up the phone I could here her laughing in the background. ‘Nuff said about that subject, I hope. I meant it, too.


Technorati Tags:

4 comments:

BRE said...

A big thanks to my very good blogger friend Imnakoya of Grandiose Parlor for his coverage of the Hurricane Katrina aftermath:

http://grandioseparlor.blogspot.com/2005/08/katrina-day-after.html

...and a big Hat Tip and bow to the great Nigerian blog and forum participants who linked to our posts in their discussion topic:

Hurricane Katrina: Should Nigeria and Nigerians Help Out?

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-1572.0.html

See my comment at Grandiose Parlor's "Katrina - The Day After" post for August 30th for my reaction to their efforts. I think that I can speak for all America in saying "Thank You, Nigeria".

Imnakoya said...

You are most welcome BRE.

I hope you are doing great there I did listen to the relief concert on MSNBC, great music, but it had this sorrowful touch to it, it was like being in a funeral Procession. Take care!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if all those families displaced by the hurricane have reunited together ever since. Or if they at least knoww the whereabouts of their lost ones thay've not yet seen? There's this site which tries to link displaced relatives together. See http://www.hurricanerefugee.com


Multidox

BRE said...

To Anonymous,

Actually I don't know the answer to that question, whether all the families and individuals who registered missing persons during Hurricane Katrina have been united again. There is still plenty of news online about the aftermath and the slow progress on reconstruction of the Gulf Coast.

What may be interesting for readers is that award-winning filmmaker Spike Lee has made a documentary film about Hurricane Katrina titled "When the Levees Broke". The four-part series will be airing on HBO TV (a U.S. cable network) August 21-22, 2006. Also, NPR (National Public Radio) has published an interview with Spike Lee about the documentary at their website. See the links below:
NPR Interview with Spike Lee
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5641453

HBO Documentary Films
http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/whentheleveesbroke/index.html