Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Still Waiting on the U.N...Darfur

I’ve been waiting on the U.N. and the “International Community” along with the rest of the world as patiently as I can. In the meantime I continue to research and archive more information about Sudan and the Tragedy in Darfur for use on this blog. As mentioned in an earlier posting I came across some very interesting material that I want to share with you on the people and history and cultures of Sudan. It's coming so just keep your pants on, Buster.

I want to compose something clever and motivating for my readers in regards to Darfur today but to be honest I cannot. I don’t know if it is my own personal frustration and depression over the situation there or the lack of action within the U.N. Security Council and from governments and peoples around the world, or maybe it is just “writers block”, or just mark "All of the Above".

So I am not going to say (write) much today, just wait and see what our world leaders do this week at the U.N. The talks down in Nigeria under the auspicies of the African Union (AU) or already a bust, but I do appreciate the efforts by President Obansanjo of Nigeria and other African leaders working there. You can’t negotiate any kind of agreement of substance with a regime like that in Khartoum. You are just plain stupid if you would believe otherwise.

The WHO (World Health Organization) just released a report on Darfur where they estimate that between 6,000 and 10,000 people (mainly women and children) are dying in the Darfur region each month now____ dying of what would normally be curable disease and illness if it weren’t for the acute overcrowding in the camps, people dying of continuing violence from Janjaweed militias and the Khartoum regime’s military and para-military attacks, dying from despair and hopelessness while they wait on someone, anyone, to come to their aid.

While we all just sit and wait and watch them die.

NEWS - the latest news from my two favorite online news sources:
BBC News:
U.S. Watersdown Draft Resolution for SC “Chumps”
BBC News:
Darfur Peace Talks Collapse
BBC News: Analysis – Defining Genocide
CNN News: Colin Powell Tells It Like It Is – “It is Genocide!”
CNN News:
WHO Comes Up with the Numbers 333.333 People A Day

World Health Organization: Darfur Health Emergency September 2004
WHO: Health for the People of Darfur w/ Photo Essay

No comments: